Knowing how to place an order with me for a personalized sign is really an easy process. I’ll discuss the information I will need from you in order to provide you how much your personalized sign will cost, to the information I will need to I can start designing.
When I am given a request for a personalized sign, I come across many people who have no idea my process and really how easy it is! All of my requests but one have been over Facebook messenger!
Having this all written down in messenger works for both of us, so we can go back and see what has been agreed upon!
First of all, I need to know the timeline and when you will need the sign. I will let you know if I have any openings.
Second of all, I need to know approximately what size you are wanting.
- This will let me know what materials I can work with and recommend.
- If you’re providing this as a gift I usually recommend going towards the smaller sizes. Such as my 12 or 15″ diameter rounds, or the 12×24″ rectangles. If you have an “oddball” size, I can do these on a smooth-type plywood but these will usually need a rustic frame since the ends will not be able to be finished.
- I also charge by the size not by the details you want on your sign.
- Once we have the size narrowed down I will be able to let you know what the sign will cost plus tax.
- If your going to need this sign shipped I will be able to provide the price of shipping and insurance once the sign is completed and I can weight the sign and materials used to ship.
Third, the colors you’d like for me to go with. I can even give some recommendations. Also Pinterest is a great site for ideas and I hope your following my boards! I have an eclectic mix of home decor and color combinations saved also.
One of my favorite signs to do is the background where I blend 2 to 3 colors. With these, no two will ever be the same. Depending on the brush I use or how heavy or light handed I am that day. This and a number of other combinations will make the backgrounds of each sign different from another.
Fourth, I will need the information you’d like for me to have on the sign. Do you want an Established sign or do you want your sign to have a special saying?
My favorite signs to make
The Established signs are very popular for gift giving for weddings, anniversaries, bridal showers and even birthdays. On these, I usually have the full last name or initial. The couples first names, and their wedding date. If you want to see some samples of signs I completed for gift giving earlier this year, click here.
If you have a special saying or request you’d like me to do instead, that’s also available.
Once I have all this information, it’s time for me to hit the laptop.
I will provide up to three proofs or designs for you to look over. This will help you get an idea of what your finished sign will look like. It’s a computer design that I use to make my stencils with so it’s not going to be a 100% replication, but a it will give you a good idea.
- If you fall in love with one of these designs, then it’s my turn to start prepping the wood and start painting.
- If you like one of the designs but want a few changes then I will go back and keep tweaking (within reason).
- If none of the three design work for you, I will go back to the drawing board and offer a few more designs to tempt you.
During the painting process, I will also keep you up to date on how I’m going and if needed, your approval. Once the sign is painted, lettered and you approve, I then start sealing the front and finish the backside.
- I use a water-based sealer that is for indoor use. If you are wanting your sign for outdoors, please let me know.
Once I have taken my pictures I will let you know when she is ready to be picked up. If you need your project mailed, I will get everything wrapped up, weighed and let you know what the shipping cost and insurance will be for your total amount due.
I accept cash, local checks, payments through Facebook Messenger and credit cards or money transfers through PayPal. I do have a Stripe account, but that is on my list of things I need to finish processing.
No sign will be shipped until paid. I used to require a 50% deposit prior to painting my projects, however, I have had a great group of customers and I have found this really isn’t necessary.
So to recap on how to order from me:
- I need to know your timeline, when do you need your sign completed.
- I need your size request, I can then provide your cost plus tax. Shipping and insurance is extra.
- Information you want on your sign
- I use an indoor water-based sealer unless asked to use an outdoor sealer.
I accept up to 4 request per month. This is a labor of love and I handcraft each sign. I do apologize if this is an inconvenience, however I’ve learned this is my limit. Any more requests per month and I become overwhelmed.
So if this interests you drop me a note! You can message me below or on Facebook or send me an email.
I hope you have a great week and if you have any questions, send me a message!
Yes, this post contains affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase, I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you.